Borneo Inside

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Different Cultures, Different Acts



Many ethnics in one region can be sitting together, but in some places they are not able to confirm the other ethnic and realize that they are also human being. In my place, conflict between ethnics once happen and thousands died. Now the situation is safe, but still we can see in some places it is hard for people to accept other ethnics. If we think deeply, it is only wasting our time and it provides unstable condition. On the other hand, I cannot blame them and force them to receive my conception. It needs long time to change. I am a blended child because my parents come from different ethnics. I am proud that my parent’s ethnic never cause conflict. It means that they have understood each other. In my family, it provides a different act of my parents. Sometimes they have different ways and intonation when they speak to teach their children.
My father is Malay and my mother is Dayak and they have different ways to teach their children, because they had a different background from their parents. If I ask my father to do something that he does not like, I cannot negotiate it anymore. My mother have a different ways, I still can negotiate it although she is grumbling at first. That is the description of my father behavior. He always explicitly when teach his children, if his children were unconsolidated, he suddenly angry with us. So, I have to follow him, even though it is hard for me, but I know that he is a good father. My mother is a very calm woman. When her children were unconsolidated, she did not directly angry with us. She persuaded us to follow her slowly but surely.


Different culture caused a different intonation in speaking. It also happens with my parents. I was scared if my mother angry although my father is a high-tempered person. The things that I saw, Dayak is an ethnic that live in hard environment such as forests, side along the river while Malay ethnic often seen in city. As a result, the character of the intonation also different, for example, my mother has louder voice than my father. I do not know exactly but I think people in the city is habitually talk with polite intonation and low volume while my mother came from village where the distance from one home to  another is a little bit far, so when they call their neighbor, they speak loudly. I think that is why my mother speaks louder and of course I scared if she gets angry.
Life in different culture gives many experiences. We indirectly learn that the different ethnics can unite if we want it and there is will be no conflict. Life in different culture also makes us become more responsible with other culture because we know that different culture can stay together without conflict. The conflicts will not over if we still bring the old culture that we have without accept other culture besides us. So, if it is the case, our country will not moving forward, because conflict is always possible to happen and will make unbalance situation such as economic, social and politic. The awareness to keep our culture unity is our obligation, because it cannot be happen if in our mind still depends on an old thinking

No comments:

Post a Comment